February 11, 2011

Trip to the ER and in the Hospital

So folks, there is good reason I've been MIA from this blog.

Back story - Rachel and I have been stuffy with the same nasal congestion since the 23rd of January. Starting on the 4th Rachel started coughing. I thought "uh oh, here we go." That Sunday she began having a fever. I brought her into the Pediatrician the next day and they diagnosed her with double ear infections and told me to use the nebulizer with albuteral ever 4-6 hours. That night her fever went up to 103.2 and she projectile vomited all. over. me. ...yeah. She did manage to sleep Ok but coughed through out the night. The next day she still had a slight fever and when I tried to put her to sleep that night she couldn't stop coughing. I could hear the mucus in her throat like she was drowning. I went up and tried to have her sleep on my chest sitting up a bit but it didn't help at all. What I heard was not good so I packed her up and went to the ER.

At the ER she was listened to by the doc and had x-rays taken. It was determined that she had pneumonia and that a different antibiotic would be used and a nebulizer treatment would be done at the hospital. The doctor said we could go home but I told him I didn't like the sound of her breathing and that I wasn't comfortable going home. (This comment from me gave me deja vu of Rachel's birth - always trust your instincts moms!) He said he had no issues with me staying the night at the ER. They hooked Rachel up to the pulse-ox monitor. She was sat-ing below 88 (out of 100). The doctor then decided he wasn't comfortable with that and booked us a room.

We finally got to our room at 2AM, the nurse then had to ask us an hour worth of questions. The only good question that was asked was "did they test her for RSV?" Nope. They did not. She did the test on Rachel, which involves sticking a tube down her nose to suck out snot, and about 2 hours later we found out we were dealing with RSV too. I called Stephen to let him know what was going on and his work allowed him to drive home Wednesday to help out. Thank God because I wouldn't be doing well without him. We've been able to switch nights with Rachel so we can get some good sleep.

Rachel is still in the hospital. It seems as though the worst has passed though. She needs oxygen at night while she sleeps and during her naps but the rest of the time she's her happy self. It's now just a waiting game for the gunk to clear from her lungs so she can breath better and get more oxygen into her lungs. Let's hope tonight goes terrific so she can come home. Living at the hospital stinks.


  1. I lived in such fear of RSV when Munchkin was a baby. I hope Rachel is feeling better soon!!!

  2. Hoping that Rachel is home and healthy again soon!

  3. ooooh...I'm so sorry..you must be exhausted! I hope Rachel gets to go home soon!

  4. Ugh RSV! Its running ramped here right now. My peds office is crawling with it. Makes me super nervous! Hopefully she can get home soon!

  5. I'm so sorry to hear all this Maggie. Let me know if you need anything. Are you still at the hospital?


Thanks for your comment! I love mail!