May 6, 2011

Saying Goodbye and the New Digs

On the day of the move it was just me and the movers in the house. I felt pretty lost just watching them load the truck. I left before they were done so I didn't get to see the house completely empty (or clean at all) but I did get the feeling of sadness. When it was time for me to drive away, it was really hard. I can't lie. I think I cried for about a half hour in the car and then friends called and I cried some more. I've moved a number of times in my life and I've never been sad about leaving before. Getting stuck in the tornado storms did nothing to ease my leaving either.

Since moving into our new place, I've been feeling better. It helps having us all together and having all of our things together. I do miss the woods in the backyard. Now we have a view of other people's homes. But this house is much bigger and holds us more comfortably and will continue to do so once baby boy Fluck arrives. This house is probably going to be up for us to purchase as well if we want to. It's in such a great area. Very close to stores, The Little Gym, a new pediatrician, parks and good schools. The neighborhood is nice too. Everyone has made a point to introduce themselves. I swear it's the cul-de-sac effect. You have to be close to your neighbors in a cul-de-sac because you are circled around each other. I don't have pics of the new place yet. We're still putting up pictures and curtains and Stephen has big plans for chopping down hedges in the front of the house and laying down some new mulch. The house was neglected by the former tenants who skipped town owing months of rent to our landlords. I think they are VERY happy to have us in this house now!

Rachel and the dogs have also settled in. The dogs did very quickly. It took Rachel a couple days to get used to her new room and settle down for bed without crying like she used to. I think it probably had more to do with the traveling and the lack of power for 5 days. But now she loves it and she crawls everywhere and up the stairs! I have video of that and I'll post it later. She is also thrilled with herself and her walking skills. She loves to push her walkers around and gets the biggest smile on her face when she does it. She also is building up independent steps. I want to say she is close to 10 total before she falls. She works so hard and it makes me mad sometimes that it just so much harder for her to do things than it is for other kids. I know she won't give up on walking. I just wish I could make it easier for her.

I've been in touch with the Early Intervention people here as well. I'm waiting on a phone call from them to set up a time to have them come meet Rachel and get the therapy ball rolling. I will enjoy having the therapist come over to work with her. It's as much social time for me as it is for her to work. I know she misses her old therapists. She loved them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! I love mail!